Osteoporosis is a disease characterized by low bone mass and deterioration of bone tissue. This leads to increased bone fragility and risk of fracture (broken bones), particularly of the hip, spine, wrist and shoulder.
Osteoporosis is often known as “the silent thief” because bone loss occurs without symptoms. This picture depicts the difference between healthy bone and osteoporotic bone.
Did you know? At least 1 in 3 women and 1 in 5 men will suffer from an osteoporotic fracture during their lifetime! 1
How is Osteoporosis detected?
Osteoporosis does not develop overnight. You can lose bone mass steadily for many years without experiencing any symptoms or signs of the disease until a bone fractures.
Early detection of bone loss, therefore, is critical in preventing osteoporotic fractures. Bone Mineral Density (BMD) tests use technology known as bone densitometry to compare the density of your bones to that of an average young adult.
BMD tests are safe, painless and help guide your healthcare providers in developing the best prevention or treatment plan for you!
Markland Wood Pharmacy will be holding a Bone Density Clinic on January 29, 2015 @ 10:00 am – 6:00 pm, where you can get a BMD test done for free! Come in to the pharmacy or call us to book an appointment.
How can I keep my bones healthy?
Reducing the risk of osteoporosis is a lifetime process; it is never too early or too late to start taking care of your bones! Here are some tips to get you started on achieving bone health:
* Eat a balanced diet rich in calcium, vitamin D and protein.
* Keep active! Weight-bearing activities, resistance-strength training and activities that improve flexibility all play a role in keeping our bones and bodies strong and healthy.
* Moderate alcohol, salt and caffeine intake. All of these can have a negative impact on our bones when consumed in excess.
* If you smoke, quit! Smoking is harmful to overall health, including our bones!
For more information about detection and prevention of osteoporosis, including ways to keep your bones healthy, home health devices, diet, exercise and more, please attend our Let’s talk about bones educational session held at Markland Wood Pharmacy on January 20, 2015 @ 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm!
For more information about osteoporosis and tips on how to maintain your bones healthy, visit www.osteoporosis.ca
1. Osteoporosis Canada. www.osteoporosis.ca